dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > drinking water systems > pcws

Public Community Water Systems (PCWS)

Public water system means any source(s) or combination of sources owned or controlled by a person, that provides drinking water through pipes or other constructed conveyances to the public and that has at least fifteen (15) service connections or serves an average of at least twenty five (25) individuals daily for at least sixty (60) days out of the year. Such term includes all collection, treatment, storage and distribution facilities under the control of the water supplier and used primarily in connection with such system, and any collection or pretreatment storage facilities not under such control which are used primarily in connection with such system. Public water system shall also mean any part of a system which does not provide drinking water, if use of such a part could affect the quality or quantity of the drinking water supplied by the system. Public water system shall also mean a system which bottles drinking water for public distribution and sale (see also Domestic Bottled Water System).

Public community water system (PCWS) means a public water system which serves at least fifteen (15) service connections used by year-round residents or regularly serves at least 25 year-round residents.

All public water systems must conduct Water Quality Monitoring. You will find a brief summary of the various monitoring requirement as well as any associated regulatory information. Water quality testing must be performed at labs that must be certified by the state of Vermont. Only test results coming from a Certified Labs will be accepted.

Every public water system is required to have a Certified Operator. Licensing, testing, resources and information can all be found there.

Numerous Applications & Forms pertain to PCWSs. A complete listing along with a brief description of what each application and/or form is used for can be found on this page.

Rules   (link to page)

Consumer Confidence Reports (CCRs)

Monitoring Schedules (link to page)

Public Community water systems will require at some point in their history Permits. Permits are required any time construction is performed throughout the system, on the water source or on the systems processes. Not sure if you need a permit, call first.

Many program activities require a fee.

The Drinking Water State Revolving Loan Fund (DWSRF) provides loan to public water systems for water system improvement projects, preliminary and final design, feasibility studies and source exploration. No grants are available to any public water system.

Numerous Guidance, Practices, and Procedures apply to the regulation of public drinking water systems. These are designed to clarify, simplify and/or outline the DWGPD’s approach to regulating public drinking water systems.

All public community water systems are required to have an Operation and Maintenance Manual, submit an update whenever operational changes are made to the system, and in response to a condition in a Permit to Operate. O&M manuals are the user manual for the system, to be used on a regular basis and in the event of an emergency where someone unfamiliar with the system can come in and perform the necessary functions, including, but not limited to, start-up/shut-down, taking samples and disinfecting.

Capacity Development pertains to a water system’s technical, managerial and financial capabilities. Significant assistance is available to water systems relating to budgeting, user rate review, asset management, managerial structures, fire district formation/governing and myriad other non-technical system operation needs.

Source Water Protection is the first line of defense any public water system has in ensuring their source water is safe for public consumption. Here you will find documents related to meeting the regulatory requirement of source water protection as well as helpful education and outreach material.

There are resources available to your drinking water system to ensure you are properly prepared for an Emergency and that your facility has adequate Security.

Reporting  (link to forms)

To find out information about your public water system you can visit Drinking Water Watch. If you don’t know the WSID (VTXXXXXXX) of your water system, you can search using any part of the water system’s name or simply by the county you are in. Drinking Water Watch will provide information regarding official contacts, water quality monitoring results, population number and type, water system facilities (source, tanks, treatment, etc.) and violations, if any, that exist for the system.

The Downtown Designation Program works throughout the state to bring resources (tax credits and grants) and training and technical services to help affiliated or "designated" downtown organizations preserve and revitalize historic downtowns and create strong communities. 

To create a map of your water system you can visit the Natural Resources Atlas. Also available is a Public Well Locator.

Outreach and Education

Special Studies



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved