dwgwpd home
dec home > dwgwpd home > property owners > regional offices > rules

Regional Office Program Rules

Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply Rule - Effective September 29, 2007 (PDF) also see Summary of Changes (PDF).

Your Regional Office will help you locate information about your wastewater system and water supply and a Permit Specialist can answer questions you may have regarding what State permits may be needed.

Due to the high cost of printing and postage we must now charge for paper copies of the Wastewater System and Potable Water Supply Rules. We will continue to provide the Wastewater System and Potable Water SupplyRules on CD at no charge. E-mail your request for a CD (julie.campbell@state.vt.us) of the rules or fill out the order form (PDF) for a paper copy.

Water Supply Rule (link to page)  - see part II of the Water Supply Rules for non-public (potable) water systems.

Notification Requirements
The Legislature amended Act 145, the Notification Requirements, in 2012. All applications that are postmarked or hand delivered to the Regional Offices on or after September 1, 2012 need to follow the new notification requirements.
The changes are:

  • All notifications required of the landowner (as an applicant or a permittee) shall be done by certified mail;
  • Notifications to property owners affected by “overshadowing” will be made using a standardized form developed by the Secretary;
  • Notifications only need to include a site plan that accurately depicts all of the overshadowed areas on neighboring property. (The requirement to send the entire application and a copy of all of the plans has been eliminated); and
  • Notification to property owners possibly affected by overshadowing shall be made at least seven calendar days prior to the date that the permit application is submitted to the Secretary. (The prior notice period didn’t start until the application was submitted).

The new documents below are:

Archived Rules



drinkingwater.vermont.gov   groundwater.vermont.gov   septic.vermont.gov wastewater.vermont.gov
VT DEC Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division 1 National Life Drive, Main Building, 2nd Floor  Montpelier, VT  05620-3521
Telephone 802-828-1535    Fax: 802-828-1541


State of Vermont Agencies & Depts.     Access Government 24/7     About Vermont.Gov     Privacy Policy

A Vermont Government Website Copyright 2004 State of Vermont - All rights reserved