Flood Response and Clean Up

The Agency of Natural Resources' main offices in Waterbury sustained heavy damage from flooding during Tropical Storm Irene in 2011. The Waterbury Office Complex was closed. The Regional Offices remained open. In early 2013 Agency staff are moving to the new permanent Agency location in Montpelier. The Agency of Natural Resources has compiled information to assist citizens with flood clean up and mitigation (this page). We hope you find this information useful.

Deborah L. Markowitz, Secretary
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources


INDEX: Information on Flood Response and Clean Up

PLEASE NOTE: Communities impacted by Hurricane Irene should contact their municipal attorneys and/or the Vermont League of Cities and Towns with any concerns that they have regarding the impact of local ordinances and regulations on recovery efforts and any questions relating to interim flood hazard area bylaws.

Clean Up

Grants and Other Funding

After the Flood

Protection From Flooding

Flood Insurance

Contact Information

To report flood damage, whether you are insured or not, please call 211.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Martha A. Abair, Senior Project Manager
8 Carmichael Street, Suite 205
Essex Junction, VT 05452
802.879.7638 (fax)
http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/index.htm exiting the ANR site

ANR Environmental Assistance Hotline

Call for help with:
- Pollution Prevention & Waste Reduction
- Mercury related topics
- Business Compliance Assistance
- Municipal Compliance Assistance

Emergency Hazardous Materials Spill Reporting
- 7:45am - 4:30pm weekdays - Waste Management Div.
1-800-641-5005 - 24-hour State Police Dispatch

Water Systems Security Breach First Response Assistance
1-800-823-6500 or 802-241-3400  - 7:45am - 4:30pm weekdays
24-hour Pager:Dial 741-5311 then enter your number. 24-hour pager: a local call within Vermont for pager for Water Supply Div. emergency response

Environmental Violations
802-241-3820  to report possible violations of Vermont's Environmental Laws or See the Enforcement web site for details on reporting violations

FAQs - Flood Response and Clean Up

What can I do with all the driftwood the high water deposited on my property?

Wood should not be pushed back into the lake as it will become a navigational hazard. You can pile it up on your property, use it for firewood, or contact your town office to see if they are making any arrangements for disposal of debris.

The high water moved rock or sand up off my beach/waterfront into my yard, what can I do?

Rock and sand can be pushed back onto beach areas under the following guidelines:

  • Mechanical equipment should not go in the water
  • Fine soils (silts) and organic soils should not be pushed into the water
  • New material (from offsite) such as sand, should not be placed in the lake

The flooding caused damage to my shoreline and it is eroding, what can I do to stabilize it?

There are several resources about stabilization measures available. The Lake Champlain shoreline is very diverse, and stabilization should be tailored to each situation.

Here are some recommended guidelines:

  • If possible, wait until the water recedes to near normal summer levels to make sure you can assess the full extent of damage. Stabilizing the toe (bottom) of the slope is key to long-term stability, and if this was damaged, you’ll want to start there.
  • Give serious consideration to stabilizing slopes and banks with vegetation of mixed trees, shrubs and groundcover.  Vegetation has numerous benefits. First, it provides better long term and stability over structures, as these need to be repaired and replaced continuously. Second, trees and other vegetation provide lake protection by filtering runoff and enhancing shore and in-lake habitat. Third, a slope vegetated with a mix of trees, shrubs and ground cover can generally withstand high water better than mowed grass which is easily undermined.  The various trunks and stems of vegetation damped wave action and protect the soil. Fourth, solid vertical surfaces such as retaining walls both focus erosive energy on your neighbor’s property and are susceptible to ice push and wave damage. If you had a retaining wall that was damaged by the high water, please consider replacing it with a more natural bank.
  • In many locations, providing some base of bank stability and then planting a slope above can provide excellent long term stability.
  • Look at how water upslope flows onto the bank can also help provide long term stability. Avoid channelized flow off roofs, driveways and lawns on to the lakeshore bank. If possible, slope sections of your property away from the lake edge, collect runoff in rain barrels, depressions and rain gardens, or otherwise infiltrate the water as far back from the bank as possible.
  • NRPC will be hosting workshops on shoreline stabilization based on the manual in the early summer of 2011. Check their website for a schedule: http://www.nrpcvt.com/ exiting the ANR site

When do I need a permit?

The mean water level of Lake Champlain is at elevation 95.5 feet; and is the start of the State of Vermont’s jurisdiction under 29 VSA Chapter 11 and extending lakeward:

The state’s Shoreland Encroachment Program regulates work (including fill, dredging, building, docks) on Lake Champlain starting at elevation 95.5’ and lakeward.  For information, please visit http://www.vtwaterquality.org/permits/htm/pm_encroachment.htm or contact Steven Hanna at steven.hanna@state.vt.us

The Army Corps of Engineers reviews projects beginning at 98’ and lakeward, please visit http://www.vtwaterquality.org/permits/htm/pm_coe.htm for contact information.

ANR home page ANR Calendar Finding Information on the ANR site ANR Publications Contact Information for ANR Summary & links to ANR Permit Information ANR Central Office Dept. of Environmental Conservation Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Dept. of Forests, Parks & Recreation Other Departments & Agencies You & the Environment Maps & Mapping at ANR Links of interest to Students and Teachers Vermont State web site